Glossary

 

Paralegal Technology Glossary

Welcome to the Paralegal Technology Glossary. My name is Dana Ghamraoui and I’ve been studying in my program for the past three years. This glossary was prepared to understand the paralegal terminology. It can help students, teachers and people working in this field to communicate better by understanding different words in a simply way. It includes the definition of twenty words.

lawyer
noun
A person who practices or studies law; an attorney or a counselor.
Example: I want to see my lawyer.
fr: avocat
judge
noun
A public official appointed to decide cases in a court of law.
Example: It is hard to judge whether such opposition is justified.
fr: juge
notary
noun
A person authorized performing certain legal formalities, especially to draw up or certify contracts, deeds, and other documents for use in other jurisdictions.
Example: I will sign a contract with my notary.
fr: notaire
legislation
noun
laws
Example: I need to read the legislation.
fr: législation
civil code
noun
A codification of private law relating to contracts, property, family and obligations.
fr: code civil
jury
noun
A body of people sworn to give a verdict in a legal case on the basis of evidence submitted to them in court.
Example: The jury returned unanimous guilty verdicts.
fr: jury
doctrine
noun
A doctrine is a single important rule, a set of rules, a theory, or a principle that is widely followed in a field of law.
Example: I need to read the doctrine.
fr: doctrine
judgement
noun
The ability to make considered decisions or come to sensible conclusions.
Example: The judge said the judgement.
fr: jugement
supreme court
noun
The highest judicial court in a country or state.
Example: I have a court in the supreme court.
fr: cours suprême
legal debt
noun
A debt is an agreed sum that is due under the terms of a contract.
Example: I have a legal debt.
fr: dette légale
accused
noun
A person or group of people who are charged with or on trial for a crime.
Example: He is accused of a crime.
fr: accusé
case laws
noun
Case law is made up of the written decisions of judges in court cases and tribunals.
Example: I need to read the cases law.
fr: jurisprudences
legal research
noun
Includes each step of a course of action that begins with an analysis of the facts of a problem and concludes with the application and communication of the results of the investigation.
Example: I am doing a legal research.
fr: recherche juridique
criminal law
noun
A system of law concerned with punishment of those who commit crimes.
Example: I am reading the criminal laws.
fr: lois criminels
defense
noun
The action of defending from or resisting attack.
Example: I am defending him.
fr: defense
legal creditor
noun
Someone to whom an obligation is owed.
Example: I am a legal creditor.
fr: créancier légal
paralegal
noun
A person trained in subsidiary legal matters but not fully qualified as a lawyer.
Example: I am studying paralegal.
fr: parajuriste
offense
noun
A breach of a law or rule, an illegal act.
Example: He did an offense.
fr: infraction
court
noun
A tribunal presided over by a judge or a magistrate in civil and criminal cases.
Example: I have a court tomorrow.
legal right
noun
The aggregate of the capacities, powers, liberties, and privileges by which a claim is secured.
Example: We all have legal rights.
fr: droits légaux

Comments